Monday, April 11, 2011

Alcudia

The market
Awesomeness for sale
After the last debacle trying to get to Alcudia, my friends and I FINALLY made it this weekend. The bus ride is only about an hour and change and it's completely worth it. First, the bus dropped us off at the market and we walked around for a little while. We stopped at this one stand with a lady selling super gorgeous Mallorcan pearls and I thought to myself, "Self, what a wonderful gift for your mother." So I decided to buy my mom some Mallorcan pearls. Unfortunately, I was 3 euros short and had to find an ATM. The very nice vendor lady agrees to hold the jewelry off for me until I get back from the ATM. Somehow, on the way back, another vendor woman, who wasn't quite as nice, stopped me to look at her booth. She wrote down the price for the set I was looking at, the exact same as the other nicer vendor lady, but it cost 5 euros more. So, I try to walk away, but she asks me how much I wanted to pay for the set. I give her a price 5 euros lower than the nice vendor lady and she accepts. So she's wrapping up the set and I feel super guilty. I didn't want to buy anything from her, she was too pushy. I felt as if I had betrayed the nice vendor lady. Of course my friends are telling me not to be silly, the nice vendor lady expects to lose customers, but I felt really bad. I couldn't bring myself to face her so I took a different way back to the main market area.

Our tiny fish plate
Anywho, after shopping around for a little longer, and finding super cute little trinkets, we decided we were kind of hungry. The port of Alcudia is known for having some super awesome seafood, so off we went to discover the deliciousness that was ahead. On our way, we wanted to visit old Roman ruins, but of course they decided they wanted to be closed. We resume our trek for sustenance and come across this cute little restaurant with outdoor seating and a pretty chill atmosphere. We try to order, but apparently this is the only restaurant known to man without a menu. The waitress tells us all they have is fried fish, so we order a small portion of fish and some drinks. The drinks came with a little plate of paella as an appetizer. Little did we know that when the waitress said small, she meant practically invisible to the human eye. There were also  a few pieces of calamari and tomatoes. We were so confused like, should we go ask if more is coming? We sat and waited expecting her to bring out more food, but more food never came. So we asked for the bill, which was super cheap so we didn't complain too much. We would just try to find real food somewhere else. 

Once again, we were on our trek to find food, when we came to the main tourist area. We stopped, took a few pictures, saw the beach and bee-lined straight there, completely forgetting our food quest. We sat on the beach for hours talking, pretending to read for class, and absorbing the sun. The water was warm and the sand was awkwardly squishy, but it was cool in a weird sort of way. On our way back to the bus, we stopped at a little restaurant for drinks and ice cream. I would say this has been the best day trip yet. I have to believe a trip with no transportation fails is a winner in my book.
EXCEPT: On the way off the bus, I somehow managed to break my earphones. They got caught on something and I tugged it. Stupid thing just popped right off. Oh well, just another excuse to go to Carrefour : )

The beach : )

No comments:

Post a Comment