Thursday, March 3, 2011

Riddle: Why Did the Donkey Cross the Train Tracks? PART 2

So we were stuck in a little town that I now know is called Sineu. The bus arrived, but he said he wasn't leaving until 2 and we had about 35 minutes to spare. We stop in this really cute little restaurant to wait. The owner seemed really nice, until he charged us for three baskets of bread when we only had one. He said it was enough to feed three people, so he charged us for three baskets. It still doesn't make sense because there were five of us. But oh well, life goes on.

Finally, we are on the bus to Manacor. Just my luck, the emergency hatch at the top of the bus is open, so I have wind and rain blowing in my face. So I was wet and cold. UGH! But whatever. I was just happy to be on our way again. 

Once we arrived in Manacor we had no idea what was open, so we randomly wandered through the tiny streets until we came to the main city center. We found this restaurant that had an amazing lunch menu deal. You could get an appetizer, second plate, dessert, water, and wine all for 8 euros. So of course we all jumped on that deal. First, we had some pretty awesome paella. It was a little weird because there were whole legs and shells still in the paella. I guess we had just gotten used to ordering paella ciega (paella that you don't need to pick shells out of and no whole fish, including heads).



We ate and drank to our hearts content, while also watching Batman dubbed in Spanish. There was this sparkling water drink called suc frut (which I like to pronounce like suck fruit) that was intended to be added to the wine to make it sweeter. But seeing as how I despise the taste of alcohol, I drank it by itself. It has to be the best drink I've had since I've been in Spain, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I am definitely going to have to make a special trip to Carrefour to find it. I can't even find it online.

By the time we were done eating, it was sort of late. We didn't want to miss our train and be stuck in Manacor, so we hustled back to the train station. As we're driving back it's quite possible that I drifted off to sleep a few times. Just my luck I happened to be sitting next to a hitter. My friend would randomly smack me to tell me to look out the window at the view. Yes, I know it's pretty outside. I saw it on the way here : )

All in all, it was a decent trip. I got a really good story out of it too I guess. How many times in your life can you say your trip was delayed because a train hit a donkey? I don't know if I would ever go back, but I think it's hard to really get a feel for a city on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon. If I ever do go back, I'm going back to that restaurant to see where I can buy some suc frut!

1 comment:

  1. Good afternoon,

    My name is Alberto, the owner of a new small shop in Palma de Mallorca, in next month, April, i will have this sparkling water in my on line shop
    www.pontemorado.es
    Don´t worry, now ther is no web, i'm working in it.
    Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete