Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Weeb

Arxiduc Lluis Salvador
My university in Palma is called Universitat de les Illes Balears (UIB, pronounced like "weeb"). The UIB is SOOOO different from Agnes Scott. First, the student body is gargantuan compared to tiny little ol' Agnes. There are about 5,000 students at the UIB compared to about 900 at Agnes Scott. And the campus is a BAJILLION times bigger too (exaggeration, I know). Agnes Scott sits on about 100 acres. I'm not sure how big the UIB is, but it takes a good 20 minutes to walk from one end to the other, and that's if you're walking briskly. And of course, half of my classes would be in the furthest possible building on campus, Arxiduc Lluis Salvador. There's one half of the campus where the older buildings and the metro station are, then there's about 10 minutes of nothing, THEN there's Arxiduc. Why? Why? I have never had to take a bus to get from one side of the campus to the other, but at the UIB it's necessary.


Did I mention that everything is in Catalan? I knew most people spoke Catalan, but I didn't realize that all the signs at the school and all the official school emails would be in Catalan. Luckily, it sort of looks like English and Spanish when you read it. Hearing it though  is completely different. To me, it sounds like a mixture of Spanish, Portuguese, and French. In the end, I'm usually still pretty confused though.

No comments:

Post a Comment