Wednesday, May 4, 2011

SEMANA SANTA - Amiens, France

After my amazing time in Paris, I didn't want to leave, but the time had come. I was going to visit a fellow Scottie in Amiens, France where she was studying abroad for the semester. My friend and I woke up, ate breakfast, and headed right for Gare du Nord (the train station) to buy our ticket to Amiens. Unfortunately, due to our history of transportation fails and lack of knowledge of the French language, we were kind of discombobulated. I decided to call French Scottie (although it's CRAZY expensive with Vodafone) to try to figure out what we needed to do. Of course, she told us and we were still lost, but then a really nice Frenchman came to our aid. He told us where to buy the tickets and helped us find the right railway.

Gare du Nord train station
 We got on the train and were off to see French Scottie. After about an hour and a half on the train, we arrived in Amiens where French Scottie promptly picked us up and took us to her apartment. After meeting her Canadian roomie and a quick rest up, we were out again to find lunch. We got kebabs (which have quickly become my favorite food in Europe) and talked about the latest goings on in America. I had clearly been WAY out of touch because this was my first time hearing about Trump going crazy on Obama. After lunch, we went to the main cathedral in Amiens, which apparently is the tallest and largest cathedral in France. We climbed the absolutely ridiculous number of stairs to the first level where the giant rose window is. French Scottie got a little nauseous and decided to go back down, but my friend and I decided to keep going up all the way to the top. The view was SPECTABULOUS!!! It was definitely one of my favorite "I'm really high up right now views" so far (except for the Eiffel Tower of course).

Notre Dame d'Amiens
Close up of the giant rose window
View from the very top of the cathedral
After the cathedral, French Scottie took us to a laundromat, which we both needed greatly. While our clothes were washing we went to this awesome store called Eurorama. They seriously need these stores in the US. They have all kinds of cute trinkets and home decor for really low prices. If I had more space in my luggage, I would have loved to buy a few things there. We walked around Amiens a little more, then went to retrieve our clothes. After laundry time, we went out with French Scottie to meet some of her friends. There were 5 Canadians, 2 Mexicans, a Brazilian, a Chinese guy, a Korean, and a German, so it was a pretty diverse group of people. We talked for a few hours before French Scottie, my friend and I went back to the apartment to make dinner, French Scottie's special recipe for honey garlic chicken. As we made dinner (and got splashed by hot oil) we watched the pilot episode of Modern Family because French Scottie wanted to  convince us it was the best show ever. I must admit, it was pretty darn funny. After dinner, we watched a bit of Good Hair before my friend got tired and Megavideo cut us off. We went to sleep because we had a big day ahead of us.  We would be off to Italy the next day.




No comments:

Post a Comment