Sunday, May 1, 2011

SEMANA SANTA - Getting to the Bus Stop

Semana Santa literally translates to "Holy Week" and is the week of celebrations leading up to Easter. For most college students it's the equivalent of Spring Break. 

Before I could even begin to think about enjoying my Semana Santa, I first had to get to the bus stop. The main plaza in Palma is Plaza de España, which in theory should only be a 3 minute walk from my house. Well, not the case on the day I actually had somewhere to go. I'm usually pushing being on time by leaving my house with about 5 minutes before I have to meet anyone in Plaza de España, and that night was not different. Unfortunately, I was not aware that the processions would be going down my street, Calle San Miguel - which is a main street in Palma. For the processions, they block off the entire road and hundreds of people line the streets to watch the pasos (the religious version of a parade float) go by. After about 10 minutes of just fighting my way down the street, I finally get to where I need to turn and I can't because it's on the other side of the street. I'm quite frazzled at this point because 1) I'm already late and I'm making everyone else waiting for me late, 2) I can't figure out how to cross the street, 3) I was smooshed between way too many people for my liking, and 4) I was starting to get hot. These things combined into a great and overwhelming frustration and finally I called one of my friends to tell her why I was running late. After she laughs at me, she then tells me I could have crossed if I went in the complete opposite direction. Just fabulous.

Example of a Semana Santa procession
I was not in the mood to fight through all those people again, so I took a back street parallel to San Miguel. I turned back onto San Miguel, but I was far enough ahead that the processions hadn't made it that far down the street yet. So I scurry across the street and walk back down in the opposite direction. I'm hoping I can find somewhere to turn off before the procession comes, but nope, no such luck. I'm literally walking head on with the processions (drummers, horses, and all) and I feel super terrible. I'm like Oh great, I'm the dumb American ruining a hundreds of years old religious celebration. At one point I felt really bad so I just stopped walking. I can't go anywhere because on one side of me is a couple of horses and the other side is a couple rows of people. But then... there was a voice. She told me Puedes pasar por alla (You can get through over there) and all I saw was a finger pointing to the corner of the building we were standing in front of. I said thank you and was once again fighting my way through people, although it was much easier since I was going away from the procession. I finally made it to Plaza de España and I was only 25 minutes late. A trip that should have taken me 3 minutes ended up taking 25, and my friends only missed 3 buses while they waited. Luckily, the bus to the airport comes frequently and we had plenty of time before our flight left, so all was well. I guess that was just a life lesson: You never know when a sacred procession is coming down your street so always be on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment