Saturday, March 19, 2011

Clase de Cocina

Paella y gató
Today, we had a cooking class with a super awesome chef named Cati. Honestly, we didn't do much cooking. We were really there for the things like stirring and cracking eggs. I didn't really mind though because we didn't have to do much work and we still got to eat some amazing Spanish food. First, we made flan, which I didn't really like that much. I think if I didn't like it when she made it, then I probably just don't like it. The flavor was good, but the texture was just too weird. Next, we made gató, which is like this Mallorquin cake-like thing. It was pretty delicious (although I was initially thrown off by the name because in Spanish gato means cat) and I was definitely looking forward to the recipe. Last but definitely not least, we made a paella (or watched Cati make a paella). Of course, it was stupendous as I had already expected. Not only that, but she decorated her dining room table in this gorgeous purple tablecloth (I noticed because purple is my favorite color) with beautiful place settings and an amazing view from her apartment window. I felt really high class being there. I enjoyed it because the "class" was short and sweet with delicious rewards at the end.


My plate with the awesome tablecloth in the background
Cati inspired me to get a paellera which is the pan you make paella in. I was going to wait until I got back to the US, but they are expensive at home. Cati told me I could go to any decent store and find a good one made of iron with the green handles (why green I don't know, but she's the expert) for like 7 euros. This afternoon I went and bought my paellera for 6 euros. I felt so Spanish, but I felt pretty awkward taking it home on the bus. I've seen people bring stranger things on the bus, so I tried not to feel too weird. Now I just have to figure out how to get this giant pan home.

No comments:

Post a Comment