Monday, March 14, 2011

El Faro de Porto Pi

My program took us to the lighthouse in Porto Pi (el faro de Porto Pi). This is the third oldest still functioning lighthouse in the world. The base was originally built in 1290 as a watch tower, but then in 1613 the height was raised and it began it's life as a lighthouse. El faro isn't usually isn't open to the public, but my teacher knows the lighthouse keeper (I have no idea what the proper term is for this person...at least not in English) personally so we got the "hook up". I'm not really a lighthouse person, but I can appreciate the historical value of pretty much anywhere. Honestly, the best part for me was the view. The stairs were a beast, but vale la pena (it was worth it). 

View from the top

Me trying to be "artsy" with the moon in the corner

Zoomed in view from the top with the Cathedral in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment