Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Weekend in Granada

My program took us to Granada this weekend. I honestly think this was the best weekend I've had since I've been in Palma. When we arrived Friday night, none of the "touristy' places were still open so we just walked around a bit. We stopped somewhere and had this super amazing view of the city.


After walking around for a while we took a guided tour through some of the city. One of the stops was a flamenco bar. The bar was actually built into the side of a mountain, so it was like a cave. As I expected the dancers were amazing, but I think I was expecting something different. I always thought flamenco was a partnered dance, but apparently the authentic flamenco is one person at a time. At the end, I was pulled up to dance with one of the dancers. I got some pretty awesome videos of two of the ladies... before the old grouchy one told us "no video". Sad face : (

 

 

Saturday morning we woke up, ate breakfast, then went straight to the Alhambra. I felt so cultured just being there. We came during a really nice time of the year when there aren't too many tourists and the weather was still pretty cool. The only thing I felt like we missed out on was the flowers. A large part of the visit is walking through gardens and I noticed a lot of them hadn't bloomed yet. I really only noticed this because my mom loves flowers and she wanted me to take pictures of all the flowers. 

View from one of the towers
We also happened to be there during an Amazing Race (Spanish style) so there were quite a few of costumed people running through the streets while we were there. Also, the men who carry the statue of their saint during their patron saint's holiday were out training. They were huddled together under a giant piece of wood covered by a cloth all working on moving as one. It looked super intense and it made me realize the hard work that many of the citizens put in for the celebrations of their patron saints. Overall, it was a pretty great time and I definitely would love to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment